Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Swirling Thoughts #25 - political correctness has it's place - but it's not here.





I am aware that everything I experience here is filtering through my American lense but this was really over the top. I stopped dead in my tracks in front of the cookie display. I was holding in laughter as I took these pictures. The makolet manager saw me photographing the cookies and laughing to myself. Even if I explained it to him he'd never get it. Woah.
The bottom picture (with the big earings) caught my eye. Then I noticed her cookies were dark chocolate. The lighter skinned women represented the caramel cookies and the chocolate vanilla mixed. The character on the package reflects, in essence, the flavor of the cookies inside. Go ahead, look again.

I brought Barbara to school today for an orientation with her new morah. There were no medical forms to fill out though I’ve heard that if I don’t send the kids with proof of vaccination the school nurse will bring them up to date (“The nurse will be giving us shots??? On the first day of school???”). There was nothing about food allergies and what foods you can bring in to the school (hello Bamba!). Though the general dress code is known – modest skirt and shirt – there was nothing given out about a dress code. For the girls OR the mommies.

My big girl took one half of one step into the classroom and then, with tears welling in her eyes, suctioned her entire body to my pregnant belly. Thank Gd her face was smashed into my midsection – she couldn’t see my tears. Between me, the morah, several kind classmates and their compassionate “we’ve all been there” mothers, we got her to join the group. Fast forward to pickup, close to two hours later. She was all smiles. She looked at me with starry eyes and said, in a wistful voice, I have the nicest teacher in the world! I asked about the classmates and got a similar description.

Benatayim (there were close to 2 hours for me to quick go shopping and figure out what I am sending 4 kids for lunch each day SIX DAYS A WEEK – that’s 24 lunches!!!), I went to the makolet. Earlier I had given Asher a data collection exercise – we made a grid chart with each child’s name down the side and across the top we put Asher’s 4 choices of lunches (we’re working with the lowest common denominator here – Asher is my worst eater). So Asher surveyed the girls to see who would be willing to eat (once or twice weekly) noodles, fishsticks, cream cheese sandwiches, and pancakes. The girls were game.

Listening to other mom’s talking and just walking around the makolet I had a few ideas for supplemental items – fruit, cheese sticks with crackers, potato chips, cheeto’s, cereal in a baggy, drinkable yogurts – and all the while I secretly longed for the availability of daily school lunch. At any price.

There are four flavors of Gold’s Duck Sauce available in the makolet. Oriental, Polynesian, Szechuan, and Cantonese. I can’t remember having such a selection in Brooklyn. I always thought Gold’s Duck Sauce came in regular or spicy. How different could they all be, I thought? I’ll just grab one. Then I saw the price. 30 NIS per jar. Holding off on duck sauce until I can figure out which one is which.

No comments:

Post a Comment