Sunday, January 24, 2010

Swirling Thoughts #107 – happy new year to the trees!


Move over jelly donuts
Asher picked almonds with his ulpan. I’ve been harvesting my own cumquats. We have two separate Tu B’Shvat Seder invitations plus a field trip to plant trees in the Jerusalem Forest. In the mall we hit the dried fruit concession and my most recent impulse purchase was a bonsai olive tree.

I’m celebrating Tu B’Shvat with m&m’s and twisted cheese
According to my kids, "Israel doesn't have m&m's." I have friends whose traveling husbands bring back meat, cheese, oil, bread, Bounty and oven cleaner. So far I’ve requested mascara (the cheap kind costs 125 nis here) and m&m’s.

We were told by a friend who’s lived here for 15 years that “Israel doesn’t have twisted cheese.” Bob, not one to take ‘no twisted cheese’ for an answer, took his search to the shuk.

One mincha and several tastes later he sends me the following text:
Sulu guni – twisted cheese in Israel.


No comments:

Post a Comment