Monday, August 1, 2011

Swirling Thoughts # 208 – the case of the missing shoe sizer




The tale of the (missing) tape
Barbara’s Crocs have been broken for, well, forever. She fashioned the strap back on with pipe cleaners which was a good fix for about, I don’t know, 3 months, but it’s gotten to the point where even Bob has noticed and taken an interest in getting her new ones. (Side note to readers: I can't stand shopping. Bob can’t stand shopping. They’re pretty close, our levels of strong dislike for shopping. In fact, it’s a miracle my kids have clothes. That said…)

We loaded into the car and headed to the shoe store for new Crocs.

Anachnu tzarichim Croc-im. (We need Crocs.)
Eyze mida? (What size?)
Ani lo yodea. Tzareechim livdok. (I don’t know. We have to check.)
Hasargel haser. (The measure is lost.)
Yesh rak echad? (There’s only one?)
Ken. (Yes.)
Just to be sure I understood,
Rak echad aval haser lachem? (Only one but you lost it?)
Nachon. (Correct.)
It seemed so logical to her. What else could I say?

Fast forward two weeks

I called my friend to see what she was up to on this hot summer day.
Heading to the shoe store.
Oooh! Enjoy!

A half hour later my phone rang.
Could you believe they don’t have a foot measurer in the shoe store?
Oh, yeah! They lost it!
What? You knew that?
Well, I knew it was lost as of two weeks ago. I didn’t think about it much since then and I can’t imagine they still haven’t gotten a new one.
They only had one?
Yep!
What did you do?
We just sort of tried different shoes to figure out Barbara’s size.
That didn’t work for me. They were bringing out man sizes for my 5 year old.
Oy.

As we hung up the phone I got to thinking. Maybe there’s more to it than meets the eye – I mean, what would keep a shoe store from having a proper way of measuring people’s shoe size? Is everyone in the Gush just ‘winging’ it? I decided to take on the case.

In the two minutes it took me to figure out the foot measurement tool is called the Brannock Device, I figured out it comes from Liverpool, NY (next to Syracuse), and is available, for $49.25 in junior size and $68.00 in regular size, on line.

In my third minute on the case I sent the following email to the Brannock Device Co.




How much to ship your product to Gush Etzion, Israel? Our local shoe store lost
its foot measurer. I am not making this up.



A few hours later I got my reply and, I’m guessing, the reason why there is still no Brannock Device in the shoe store:


The shipping cost for 1 device would be $72.00 (Additional local duties and
taxes may be assessed by the carrier at the receipt of your order.)


Should I put Bob on the case? Have him smuggle one Brannock Device into the country for the sake of proper fitting shoes in Gush Etzion? Seriously considering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment