Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Swirling Thoughts #58 – I can pull my new cart right up to the airport gate but then it gets tricky

A capital investment – and this set of wheels is brand new
Our first purchase in the shuk was a push cart (which is really technically a pull cart) to pull our olives, meat, chicken, ka’ak, fruits and vegetables through the shuk. In Brooklyn I would have carried 40 bags on my breaking arms rather than use such a cart. Now I’m a proud cart owner!

Bob must have sampled every ka’ak in the shuk. His effort was not in vain. While none of them were exactly what we’re used to, the one we bought was well received, especially by Asher, the ka’ak connoisseur. “Thank you mommy, for buying me ka’ak” has to be the sweetest thing anyone’s ever said to me, ever, coming from my Asher.

Inspired by the fresh meat and chicken (until now everything has been frozen and uninspiring), I made roasted chicken, meatballs, and rice for dinner. Becky came home from the sticker store asking if we would be eating pizza (again). When I told her the menu she looked at me funny. “Is it Shabbat?” When I told her it was Tuesday she said, “Huh?”

I would never bring my pull cart to America but I think I’d bring my kid
Remember that Sally Field movie – the one where she goes to Iran with her daughter and then can’t leave? Someone mentioned to me in passing that I am not able to leave the country on my US passport unless I have an Israeli passport or some such thing which, evidently you have to apply for. So when I called to apply for it, I mentioned how I am pregnant and don’t want to be running around with a new baby doing the paperwork and could we please get it all done as soon as possible. The kind lady on the phone said, “You’re pregnant?”

A simple inquiry has turned into a series of appointments involving tons of documentation since if I would want to leave the country once my baby, Be’H, is born, assuming I would take little baby with me, little baby will need a US passport, an Israeli passport, an Israeli birth certificate and a US Report of Birth Abroad. My Asher couldn’t understand it. “Don’t babies fly for free?”

In a place where the custom is to not even purchase a baby outfit until said baby is born, I am struggling to schedule an appointment and apply for a passport for said baby. Did I mention the October appointments are all booked and the November appointments have yet to open up? The excitement of dual citizenship – bureaucracy in two countries!

6 comments:

  1. I'm surprised they're even letting you schedule an appointment without the baby's actual name. You should be able to leave (one time) with a letter that NBN should have given you. Of course, this only includes the baby if it is still in utero. A teudat ma'avar (travel document in lieu of a passport until you are considered a real citizen several years down the road) is pretty easy to get at misrad hapnim. AND! I *think* your baby can travel on its Israeli passport to the US w/o yet having the report of birth abroad as long as you get a visa like every other Israeli needs to have. Fun, fun, fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they actually have instructions for a baby not yet born. it says to write in "un-named baby" on the forms. i was thinking i should be able to travel with the baby being just israeli - with just a visa - but either way, my head is spinning! and they still have not opened november appts at the consulate. what's THAT all about? yes, it adds to the fun...!
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought I would be pushing the a cart and here I am just doing that. I avoided that all the years I lived in the big apple. Welcome to the club.
    Are we planning a return trip anytime soon??? Or is it, just in case you decide one day you want to take an hour long hot shower and will have to come back to America to do that...???

    ReplyDelete
  4. a HOT shower? Lisa keeps the temperature at home at about 0 degrees ... 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once you have the baby registered, it takes about 6 weeks to get the passport and birth certificate. Then, you have to go back (but don't need an appointment) to get the Social Security number.

    It's an easier process getting the baby the passport then trying to get a visa. Just expect some silly questions, and make sure you have what they request the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's not the ed i think it is, is it? 'lisa

    ReplyDelete